Trouble on the Tracks: Grand Trunk of New England Railway Tragedies
by Jeff Holt
Trouble on the Tracks
In the 1850s, Grand Trunk Railway, later Canadian National, was one of New England’s and Canada’s most important and heavily travelled railway lines. It linked Canada’s metropolis, Montreal – through Vermont and New Hampshire – with the nearest ice-free port at Portland, Maine. Despite constant upgrading, accidents did occur, some of them catastrophic. With details about four dozen such tragedies, you’ll learn what happened when people, vehicles, or nature decided to duel with a fully-loaded train. Discover the circumstances when a cattle train hit a mudslide… a passenger train toppled over the bank... two locomotives met in heavy fog that made it impossible to see… two trains, one fully-loaded with immigrants, came towards each other on ONE track!… the West Paris Bridge collapsed… two double-headed freight trains collided head-on … a train hit a fuel tanker truck, with ensuing explosion and fire… a derailment toppled a chlorine tank car off a bridge onto the highway below. 196 pages, over 200 photographs, (5 colour), 16 maps and diagrams to show where the accidents occurred.
Why you'll love this book!
Author Jeff Holt has covered four dozen New England tragedies on the Grand Trunk (later Canadian National) railway line, providing interesting anecdotes, myriad photos, and helpful maps with explanatory diagrams to assist readers in understanding the context of each situation. Dramatic and graphic photos, some in colour, help draw the reader into each of the stories. People will want to pick up the book, to see details of how their community, or their railway line, was affected. Others will want to see how their friends, their families, their fellow railroaders, or their favourite railway, was impacted.
About the Author
Jeff Holt wrote The Grand Trunk in New England, a general history, which was published by Railfare Enterprises Limited of Toronto, in 1987. A career science educator, he graduated from Gorham State College in Maine. Jeff obtained an MS degree in Biology from Concordia University and an EdM from McGill University. Since retiring from teaching in 2001, Jeff continues to do research in railway history. He is a life member of the Island Pond Historical Society of Vermont. Besides keeping track of his two daughters, Valerie and Bonnie, Jeff's interests include photography, computer security, genealogy, research into the John F. Kennedy assassination, and languages.
Send your order now. Members save up to 30%.
You can save up to 30% off the retail price. Send your order now.
Size 6 ” x 9 ”.
Regular list price at lower left does not include taxes, shipping, and handling. You can save up to 30% by entering your order now.
Hurry! This special offer expires soon.
Two Payment Options
Option 1 – Right away, on the web, to a secure site
1. Press the BUY NOW button in first column at left.
2. This connects you with 2CheckOut.com, our fully secure credit card agent, where you can charge your account in your choice of currency.
3. Please note that 2CO is a US-based organization, and recalculates the US$ list price into your currency. Fluctuating exchange rates can sometimes cause the final price to be slightly higher or lower, on the date of conversion to any currency other than US$.
1. Just fill out the fields below, and press SUBMIT.
2. You'll get a prompt e-mail acknowledgement of your order, confirming your total price.
3. Then print this page, and enclose your check or money order.
4. Mail to: Railfare*DC Books, Box 666, St. Laurent Station, Montreal, QC H4L 4V9 Canada
5. Made an error on SUBMIT? No problem. Just fill out the form again with the correct information, press the CORRECTION button below, then press SUBMIT again.
To order right away using your credit card, click below on Buy Now.
For other payment methods, complete order form at right...
Save up to 30%
Trouble on the Tracks: Grand Trunk Railway of New England Tragedies, Jeffrey Holt, 196 pp., 6 x 9, Transportation, December 2007
ISBN: 978-1-897190-13-5 (paper) . . . $29.95
ISBN: 978-1-897190-14-2 (Hard Cover*) . . . $49.95
* This book is “perfect bound” with an add-on
List prices above do NOT include applicable taxes, shipping, and handling charges.
|Two hundred fascinating photos.|